Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Up In The Air.....

What do you read when you are on a plane? Something gripping, but not too deep. I generally don't read mysteries or crime novels, but when I fly somewhere, as I did on Monday to Albuquerque, I like that sort of thing. I read "Little Face" by Sophie Hannah, a British author. I had previously read Hannah's book "The Wrong Mother", so I knew that "Little Face" would be wonderful airplane reading. A first-time mom of a newborn is encouraged by her mother-in-law, with whom she and her husband live, to take a short break from the baby. When the mom returns home, she knows at once that the baby she sees is NOT her daughter...or does she? Hannah mixes scenes of the horror the mom is enduring with the f-word filled conversations of the police trying to solve a case that may or may not be a case. The characters all ring true.

As I always do on trips, I spent a lot of time in a used bookstore, this one in Santa Fe. I found three brand new authors to try. As I write this, I am in the business center of the downtown Albuquerque Hyatt...our room is on the 17th floor and overlooks the Sandia mountains. We got the room on Priceline.com and are driving a rent-a-wreck....and you may be thinking that with all these savings I could afford to buy some NEW books...but I love the discovery of something old yet new on the used bookstores. There are more here in Albuquerque, so I might return home with more than three books.

No comments:

Post a Comment